Re: systemd service and /etc/default/

On Sun, 17 Aug 2014 10:36:22 -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
wrote:
>It's good to be aware of the option to improve the upstream source so that
>packaging it is easier and so that it works better for everyone with less
>configuration.

I find packaging easier when I work around a limitation in the
upstream software by dropping a handful of lines in a shell script
instead of letting the upstream software grow additional command line
options, probably extensive changes in the code with the potential of
introducing more vulnerability _and_ making work harder for the
security team.

> I find that it's easy, when packaging software for Debian,
>to fall into the mindset that I'm only doing packaging and that the
>upstream source is what it is and can't be changed.  But, of course, the
>whole reason why we work on open source software is that this is not true.
>The upstream source *can* be changed and improved for everyone.

I usually refrain from changing upstream source when I can work around
a limitation in _my_ code. Of course, I file bug/wishlist reports
upstream and in many cases the workaround could be removed from the
package in a later release.

>In this particular case, dynamically discovering the network interfaces by
>default (while still allowing the list of interfaces to be overridden from
>the command line) gets the software closer to working with zero
>configuration on *all* platforms, and we know that our users much prefer
>zero configuration setups (as long as there's still an option to override
>for local needs).  So while more work that option makes the software
>better for everyone in the long run.

Changes of this order of magnitude is way beyond my capabilities, both
regarding time and skill.

Greetings
Marc