Re: systemd service and /etc/default/

Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> writes:
> Josh Triplett <josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:

>> 3) Teach ntopng to understand /etc/ntopng.conf natively and migrate the
>> settings there.

>> 4) Teach ntopng to automatically detect the available network devices
>> on the system (including new ones that show up dynamically) and
>> automatically handle all of them unless configured to do otherwise,
>> making configuration usually unnecessary.

> Please. The attitute of requiring Debian maintainers to modify
> upstream software instead of having simple two-line extension to an
> init script is really unfriendly. Why do only systemd friends keep
> recommending this?

No one is *requiring* anything.  I'm not sure where you got that
impression.  As you can see from the numbering, Josh just presented a
couple of additional options.

It's good to be aware of the option to improve the upstream source so that
packaging it is easier and so that it works better for everyone with less
configuration.  I find that it's easy, when packaging software for Debian,
to fall into the mindset that I'm only doing packaging and that the
upstream source is what it is and can't be changed.  But, of course, the
whole reason why we work on open source software is that this is not true.
The upstream source *can* be changed and improved for everyone.

Obviously, that's more work!  And it isn't always appropriate.  But it's
worth remembering that it's an option.

In this particular case, dynamically discovering the network interfaces by
default (while still allowing the list of interfaces to be overridden from
the command line) gets the software closer to working with zero
configuration on *all* platforms, and we know that our users much prefer
zero configuration setups (as long as there's still an option to override
for local needs).  So while more work that option makes the software
better for everyone in the long run.