Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> As Charles wrote, pristine-tar works with small tarballs, but when
> upstream has multi-megabytes tarballs and releases often, the Git
> repository quickly grows to something not manageable.

This does not match my experience at all.  I have packaged software like
that with pristine-tar, and the pristine-tar branch is still quite small.

> Yes, that's a problem. Though it's easy to download what's been
> previously uploaded to Debian before the final upload. At least easier
> than downloading 293874 old copies of past released tarball in the
> pristine-tar branch.

You realize that pristine-tar only stores references and a small delta,
and does not store copies of the tarball, right?