Re: First steps towards source-only uploads

Hi!

[ I had a note to reply to the previous thread, but never got to it. ]

On Tue, 2014-08-12 at 13:27:38 +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> On 08/12/2014 12:33, Hector Oron wrote:
> >> We will allow not including arch:all packages in uploads once we have
> >> sorted out how to get them built.
> >
> > Has it  been already discussed? If so, where?

> There are also other problems that need to be eventually addressed: as
> far as I know there are some source packages producing arch:all binaries
> that cannot be built on all architectures. A Build-Architecture-Indep
> field was proposed to indicate where it should be built in this case[1],
> but for now I think we can require that maintainers have to upload the
> arch:all packages in this case.

I think all proposed field names in that thread are rather confusing.
In Debian packaging lingo build means several things, it can mean at
least the build machine (!= host machine), or it can mean the act of
building.

In the case of Build-Depends style fields, it's referring to the act
of building, but Architecture is related to the host system/compiler,
so mixing the different meanings would be messy, think for example
about cross-compiling.

>   [1] <https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/02/msg01149.html>

Thanks,
Guillem