Re: [FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

+++ Reinhard Tartler [2014-08-08 08:29 -0400]:

> To the best of my knowledge, there are only two high-profile projects
> that play hardball to require FFmpeg: Mplayer and mythtv. Neither of
> those do that (again to the best of my knowledge) mainly because of
> technical but rather very political reasons. The case of mplayer has
> been elaborated extensively in
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=732159#79 (see the
> following "discussion" with Reimar - my conclusion from that is while
> technically possible, nobody wants to make mplayer work with Libav -
> and that's why it was removed, not because of the FFmpeg dependency).
> For Mythtv I can only say that they didn't even bother engaging any
> discussion.

My expertise here is extremely limited, but some practical experience
shows that mythtv does at least basically work fine with libav. I did
find one serious issue so far (in one version, on one piece of
hardware, so hardly extensive testing), but I have no data to know if
it is any better with ffmpeg, just a feeling that it might because
becuase that's what upstream test with. I believe the mythbuntu builds
are using libav rather than the internal ffmpeg, but I could be
wrong...? Who kows for sure?

I have just got another dev interested in helping with mythtv, so it
might still make it into jessie. And his help might give us time to delve
into this a bit further and fond out if using ffmpeg does make it
materially better or not. That testing is easier if ffmpeg is
available in debian, but obviously possible without.

Thanks for your response, which provides some useful info. I assure you
that it was worth your time.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/