Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 03:59:29PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> If I understand right, new upower basically throws away most of its
> functionality, telling its users to use systemd instead.  That's an idea
> that's neither good nor acceptable.

I see you want to start a discussion about systemd? I rather not
participate. The decision was taken by ctte, suggest to not keep
rehashing if you want systemd. It also feels too much like saying what a
project should have done, 10+ months too late.

> So reverting to a fully functional version of upower for jessie would be
> probably best.

You cannot have both installed at the same time. Meaning: software which
relies/uses new UPower cannot be installed at the same time as software
relying on the older one. There was a discussion @ Gentoo regarding
this.

IMO, seems easier to recompile software not working with new UPower
without UPower support, if possible. But that's obviously not my
decision, I just want to highlight the extra work a default desktop
incurs. I do hope that XFCE as default desktop doesn't result in
crippling of more maintained software though :-P

--
Regards,
Olav