Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Fri, 08 Aug 2014, Olav Vitters wrote:
> For such a change, 6-9 months of pre-warning should be enough. It would
> be way better if projects held back until all affected software changed
> (or maybe ensure affected software makes the changes). However, not very
> realistic (only so much time plus your adjusting the speed of other
> projects to the slowest one).

Hmm, pre-warning if there are no fixes is not enough.

Let me ask you - why is libpng still holding back so many other things?
Because not all png deps are converted. And we are speaking about years.

And just for practically no new functionality we switch with
upower to a new version that breaks lots of other functionality?

Normally, on a incompatible change, the maintainers of the software
that breaks other, provides fixes ... not just warnings.

Norbert

GPG: 0x860CDC13   fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0  ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13