Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
> Jordi Mallach wrote:
>> jessie's GNOME 3.x release should be a lot more polished than what we shipped
>> with wheezy, which means many of the rough edges and annoyances people may
>> have found when upgrading from squeeze are probably now ironed out.
>
> It's still basically fundamentally different from any other DE,
> although broadly riffing on mobile UI's, right?

As just a user who switched some time ago from KDE4 to GNOME3[1], it
doesn't feel fundamentally different from other desktop environments
like KDE, Windows, or what I have seen from Unity. I'm also not sure
what parts of GNOME should be 'riffing on mobile UIs'?

There are some differences like window title bars having only the
"Close" button and the different menu[2], though I have to admit I don't
use the menu much. Oh, and there is no longer a Windows95-style task
bar, but I mostly use Alt+Tab.

I had to change a few settings around virtual desktops to feel
comfortable, but defaults never fit everybody.

Altogether I find GNOME3 quite pleasant to use, some parts a bit nicer
and others a bit worse than KDE4 (no surprise here).

Ansgar

  [1] Triggered by one of the We-hate-GNOME-threads on -devel@ :)
  [2] Though Unity has a similar menu.