Re: Bug#729203: [FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Bug#729203: [FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian
- From: Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org>
- Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 22:14:07 -0700
- Message-id: <[🔎] email@example.com>
- Mail-followup-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <20140731233851.GC28448@falafel.plessy.net> (Charles Plessy's message of "Fri, 1 Aug 2014 08:38:51 +0900")
- References: <53D7CF25.email@example.com> <38022338.xExGetmtcr@eee> <53D80EDA.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <53D82293.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <CAKcBoksdj+bEzT9bkGbLSD41JxAhSSwmNjMna5_qWU+HBupaDw@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAKcBoktBiPqUEsgOnvkT3pEMt1AbPhKOf-vCTT1BS-ni458sEg@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <20140731233851.GC28448@falafel.plessy.net>
Charles Plessy <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> Le Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 04:29:53PM -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :
>> Based purely on security evaluations by others that I was able to find on
>> the web, FFmpeg appears to be better at the moment than libav on the
>> security front (although libav appears to be trying to catch up).
> Hello everybody
> At that point, and given the impressive number of users who expressed interest
> for having FFmpeg in Debian (see http://bugs.debian.org/729203), I think that
> it would be fair to ask the libav maintainers to provide arguments on whether
> to distribute both libraries or make a choice, even if it is against their own
> interest since they may see their packages removed at the end.
> Otherwise we are in that kind of frequent Debianesque situation where the
> winning strategy is to stay silent as long as possible.
>From what I have read about this situation now and in the past, I would
recommend to bring this to the CTTE right away and ask them to decide
whether the ffmpeg package in Debian should provide libav or ffmpeg.
I think it is unlikely that discussion between the concerned parties
will lead to a consensus, the jessie freeze is upcoming, and almost
every recent CTTE decision took several months. In other words, time is
running out, don't waste it with a pointless discussion on debian-devel.
GPG encrypted emails preferred. Key id: 0xD113FCAC3C4E599F
Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F
»Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.«