Re: systemd-sysv/shim in testing

El Sun, 27 de Jul 2014 a las 11:23 AM, Sven Bartscher <sven.bartscher@weltraumschlangen.de> escribió:
Greetings everyone, As brought up in this[0] thread, systemd-shim became incompatible with the latest versions of systemd and the alternative dependency was removed. While this is something I can totally understand, I don't think that systemd should migrate to testing without the possibility to use systemd-shim instead. My reasoning about this is as follows: Testing should be as close to a state in which it can be released as possible (I don't have a citation for that and just remember that I did read that somewhere, so please correct me if I'm wrong). Further we are not planning to release jessie without systemd-shim (at least I hope so, again please correct me if I'm wrong). This shouldn't be a huge problem, since waiting a week longer until systemd migrates shouldn't be that much of a problem, while it makes the risk smaller to accidentally remove your desktop-environment at a dist-upgrade (that's at least what apt wanted to do on my computer). To make it short: I suggest that systemd should only migrate together with systemd-shim. [0]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/07/msg00839.html Regards Sven

Greetings,

Although I personally agree that personal choice of init system is important for the distribution, by a 4-4 vote, the TC decided not to make dependencies on one init system as "PID Eins (1)" (i.e. systemd-sysv) a release critical bug. I believe some of the reasons were that the move was preemptive (as systemd 204 was the current systemd version), or not in the scope of the TC (specifying the exact severity *is* a bit much). Instead, the TC voted to not rule on the matter.

I believe the choices are to repose the question to the TC, now that the situation has actually occurred, or begin a General Resolution. As far as I understand, a GR would only need a majority since the TC did not really make a ruling.

Best wishes,
--
Cameron Norman