Re: How Debian should handle users requests?

Hi All,

On Sat, 2014-07-19 at 22:57 +0300, Arto Jantunen wrote:
> (please don't CC me on replies, I read the list)
>
> Abou Al Montacir <abou.almontacir@sfr.fr> writes:
> >> We have several forums for user support requests, the main one being
> >> debian-user@l.d.o. The bts "general" pseudopackage is not a user support
> >> forum. The consensus for dealing with user support requests being filed
> >> as "general" bugs has always been "close the bug and instruct the user
> >> to contact a support forum, mainly debian-user". When what the user is
> >> seeing turns out to be a bug in some package debian-user can also help
> >> with producing an actionable bug report against that package. Perhaps
> >> this needs to be documented more prominently?
> >
> > While I agree that the pseudo package "general" shall not be used as a
> > help forum, I don't like to close a bug abruptly. Also in this case the
> > current bug we are dealing with is probably a real bug.
>
> It might indeed be a real bug, but not in any Debian package. I don't
> know what distribution the user runs, but his kernels come from an
> Ubuntu PPA. In any case "something no longer works but I have no idea
> how to find out what" isn't an actionable bug report, it's a request for
> support.
upgrade ==> not working anymore ==> bug
I think this is a typical acceptable situation, what ever the user's
level of experience.
It is more about how much we care about our users rather than about the
validity of the bug report. A user may need to install third parties
packages, and we are in the right to refuse supporting this. But we can
not ask our users to be either a real hacker or to stop using our SW.

> > I'd recommend that reportbug(-ng) provide a clear message when creating
> > a bug, just like some other packages do it (evolution to name my
> > preferred mail client). This will then filter more this kind of reports.
> >
> > Then if the user reports a bug we need to understand it and try to fix
> > it. Maybe adding debian-user to the list of users monitoring bugs
> > against "general" pseudo package could also help in this case.
>
> I don't think reportbug should allow filing bugs against general at
> all. The extremely rare cases when one is needed can be filed manually.
>
> --
> Arto Jantunen
This is probably a valid point. If you consider reports against general
as for experienced users only then make reportbug(-ng) refuse filling
bugs against them and send rather a request to d-u or even better,
create a separate DB for support, a kind of BTS coupled with d-u.

Cheers,
Abou Al Montacir