Re: Solutions for the Apache upgrade hell

On 2014-07-14 08:53:22 +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> But I normally use "apt-get --purge dist-upgrade" both to upgrade
> across distros and to stay within one distro (or sid), because
> otherwise I get issues:
>
> * Running upgrade before dist-upgrade sometimes doesn't get the
>   dependencies right
>
> * Running dist-upgrade without --purge will keep packages in 'rc'
>   state around, which a later APT call will not even recognise;
>   you need to manually "dpkg --purge pkg1 pkg2 ..." to get rid
>   of them

I do that too. I haven't seen any official documentation saying that
this is a bad thing to do.

Purging packages in 'rc' state later is not really an option, as I
sometimes want to keep the config files of some particular packages
that have been removed... unless APT can differentiate packages that
have manually been removed and those that have automatically been
removed during a dist-upgrade.