Re: Solutions for the Apache upgrade hell

h01ger wrote:

>I've never used "upgrade --purge" _in one step_ and I don't think it's a
>particularily smart idea at all. But if people want to shoot themselves in

The --purge is a no-op with "upgrade".

But I normally use "apt-get --purge dist-upgrade" both to upgrade
across distros and to stay within one distro (or sid), because
otherwise I get issues:

* Running upgrade before dist-upgrade sometimes doesn't get the
  dependencies right

* Running dist-upgrade without --purge will keep packages in 'rc'
  state around, which a later APT call will not even recognise;
  you need to manually "dpkg --purge pkg1 pkg2 ..." to get rid
  of them

Recently, my favourite has become:

apt-get --purge dist-upgrade --auto-remove pkgtoinstall pkgtoremove-

This combines the upgrade, the auto-remove (in virtually all cases),
installation or removal of packages, and giving hints (by naming
packages explicitly to keep or remove) to the dependency resolver,
plus no 'rc' state packages lying around. (Thanks mvo for adding it!)

bye,
//mirabilos