Re: systemd is here to stay, get over it now

Dominik George dixit:

>systemd, in its nature as an init system, starts what you tell it to
>start. There is nothing that can prevent it from starting openntpd if
>you want that. If you through a service file at it, or even an LSB
>init script, then systemd has no choice but to start it.

No, this is about something else. This is about… I think it’s called
“services” and it is something other packages require, and I believe
it has to do something with dbus. This is not just about running an
NTP dæmon, but, AIUI, some APIs to manage and query it (just like
hostnamed, timezoned, etc).

Of course I can start OpenNTPD now (and cause e.g. xntpd’s start to
fail, with that), but some software will complain then. I have *no*
idea for what people will want to use this, but…

I cannot cite my sources as I got most of this from a private IRC
channel. But there was some commit message in a systemd- or related
git repository hinting at this. I did not save the link.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
“ah that reminds me, thanks for the stellar entertainment that you and certain