Re: How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 08:23:09PM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>  ❦  1 juillet 2014 10:53 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> :

> >  - hold systemd back at 204 until systemd-shim is updated

> The way user sessions work is quite different between 204 and 208. I
> would hope that Jessie will come with 208 for this reason. Holding
> systemd until systemd-shim is ready may prevent that.

Yes, you're right that this is a risk.  The risk of this happening if we
stick with systemd 204 until systemd-shim is ready is roughly the same as
the risk of our users having broken desktops on upgrade if we move to
systemd 208 and systemd-shim is not ready.

The question is which of these is a worse outcome for the jessie release.  I
come down firmly on the side that breaking desktops on upgrade is a worse
outcome than being behind on the latest and greatest user session interfaces.