Re: MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian

Before this part of the thread dies out, can anybody comment on this,
Simon, Ansgar, Jean-Christophe, ...?

On Thu, 2014-06-26 at 16:32 +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-06-26 at 13:53 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> > On 26/06/14 13:33, Svante Signell wrote:
> > > Of course with the additional check that the students are logged in to
> > > that box locally, did I forget to mention that?
> >
> > ... or
> > something involving utmp/wtmp/other traditions.
> >
> > utmp(5) says "many system programs (foolishly) depend on its integrity"
> > so be very careful with security implications if you go that way. I
> > wouldn't want anything relying on utmp for its security on my systems.
>
> Maybe I'm naive but doesn't utmp(5) solve this problem?
>
> who(1) tells me in clear-text if I'm logged in locally or remote:

Here

> Are there serious security problems with ancient utmp that cannot be
> solved?

And here.

Even systemd use utmp: man -k utmp shows:
systemd-update-utmp (8) - Write audit and utmp updates at runlevel
changes and shutdown
systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service (8) - Write audit and utmp updates
at runlevel changes and shutdown
systemd-update-utmp-shutdown.service (8) - Write audit and utmp updates
at runlevel changes and shutdown

And utmp is universal unix, not something linux-specific (which systemd
is)

Controlling who is allowed to shutdown a computer is not that difficult
in *nix*, without systemd: create a shutdown group and
parse /var/run/utmp, or??