Re: MATE 1.8 has now fully arrived in Debian

Svante Signell wrote:

>> > Only on Debian. OpenBSD and MirBSD have:
>> >
>> > -r-sr-x---  1 root  operator  122716 Sep 10  2013 /sbin/shutdown*
>> >
>> > I never understood why Debian doesn't.
>>
>> Google says the operator group also has (read) access to raw disk devices.

Yes well, this is a Unix thing. The operator is the person
operating the physical disc.

>What about creating a unique group then, e.g. calling it it shutdown?

That, and/or creating a user account called shutdown, which would
also remove the objection against the suid bit, which I find a bit
irritating because the objection is done absolutely blindly (this
is not a _security_ feature but a _workability_ feature). Or it
could be a sudoers entry. The possibilities are a lot.

bye,
//mirabilos