Re: llvm-defaults vs update alternatives

Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre <at> debian.org> writes:

> > Build systems that ignore those environment variables are broken and
> > need to be fixed.
> >
> Yes, but we have plenty of packages not honoring CC, CXX or CLFAGS.

Yes, but I have a GCC patch (in MirBSD) that can make such builds
fail, by adding a non-standard option to CFLAGS whose lack can,
depending on an environment variable, cause an error or warning.

Then just rename cc/gcc to debian-gcc and set $CC to that, so
that invoking just cc or gcc will also fail, et voilà.

I invented this patch after we had real trouble with lots of
packages not honouring CFLAGS in MirPorts, and it has made its
way via FreeWRT to OpenWrt and other systems already… (although
I did not cover the C++ case, it is easy to add).

bye,
//mirabilos