llvm-defaults vs update alternatives

Hello,

Currently, LLVM default binaries are managed by the llvm-defaults package
(similar to gcc-defaults).
To sum up, we have binaries like /usr/bin/llvm-nm-X.Y. llvm-defaults
provides symlinks /usr/bin/llvm-nm to the actual binaries.
Usually, I manage 3 versions of LLVM in parallel (currently, 3.3, 3.4 &
snapshot).

I saw various complains from users (example:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/991493 ) to switch to the
update-alternatives mechanism. This would allow a quick and global
switch from a LLVM version to another.

I must admit that I am not sure what to do here.
I see values in both solutions.

Any opinions on the subject?

Cheers,
Sylvestre