Re: Q: non-x86 build machine for Ruby upstream developers

On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 01:30:47PM +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Ruby upstream developer SHIBATA Hiroshi (CCed) is seeking non-x86 host
>  for their Continuous Integration system, see http://rubyci.org/
>  And I'd imagine we Debian can help for it.
>
> requirement)
>  * arch: non-x86 (especially arm - (armel?hf?64?))
>  * 1GB mem (2GB or more is better)
>  * chroot Debian to run chkbuild tool (https://github.com/akr/chkbuild)
>    - shell access
>    - build tools already installed (probably "build-dep ruby2.1" is enough)
>    - enable to access to build result via http or push it with rsync

I'd heartily recommend getting a hardkernel's Odroid-U3:
http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

For $59 you get a 4-core 1.7-2.0Ghz 2GB mem machine that runs Debian
natively (ships with Android or Ubuntu but getting Debian is a matter of
downloading and dd-ing an image).

You need to include their power supply (power requirements are quite
specific), and you should get their "special" eMMC too: on SD you get IO
speeds around 16MB/s, these eMMC: read 140MB/s write 35MB/s.

--
Gnome 3, Windows 8, Slashdot Beta, now Firefox Ribbon^WAustralis.  WTF is going
on with replacing usable interfaces with tabletized ones?