Re: systemd-fsck?

On Sun, 11 May 2014, Marc Haber wrote:

> On Sat, 10 May 2014 22:13:01 +0200, Matthias Urlichs
> <matthias@urlichs.de> wrote:
> >I also would not expect an "end user" to add "su foo -c /do/whatever" to
> >/etc/rc.local. Your opinion may differ, that's OK.
>
> Especially people who are not as Debian-centric as we are tend to do
> exactly this. Simply because they don't know any better.

I’ve been doing so for ages, from a BSD PoV (not su -l though¹).
Sometimes su -c, sometimes chroot, sometimes both, rarely dchroot.
But so are my coworkers who are *not* experienced with BSD.

I’ve barely (not even completely) got our admins and systems
running Debian/LSB init scripts by now. Piling even more change
on top of what is currently needed for administration (ever
since insserv…) will not work; people will end with partially
broken systems and blame Debian and go back to use CentOS 5…

On Sun, 11 May 2014, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

> Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> (2014-05-11):
> > Just curious as the maintainer of another package using su in an init
> > script since 2001, how am I supposed to start a non-root process from
> > an init script?
>
> start-stop-daemon has:
>
>        -c, --chuid username|uid[:group|gid]

But the start-stop-daemon documentation seems to imply (please
correct me if I’m wrong) that it’s for starting (and stopping)
specific executables, as dæmons, with pidfiles, etc. – not for
just running some shell code (which may or may not start other
processes and/or dæmons) as another user.

Taking dirmngr as example again:

output=$(su -c ". /lib/lsb/init-functions && umask 027 && start_daemon -p $PIDFILE $DAEMON --daemon --sh" dirmngr) || return 1
eval "$output" || return 1

Before preparing the NMU¹, I searched long and wide for something
using start-stop-daemon which could replace this piece of code,
and found it not.

① Note I did NMU dirmngr to remove the -l from the su call,
  which was causing problems.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
«MyISAM tables -will- get corrupted eventually. This is a fact of life. »
“mysql is about as much database as ms access” – “MSSQL at least descends