Re: systemd-fsck?

Hi,

Jakub Wilk:
> * Matthias Urlichs <matthias@urlichs.de>, 2014-05-10, 19:13:
> >Every compiler toolchain upgrade breaks a bunch of packages,
>
> For end users? I don't think so.

The typical end user does not recompile some system-supplied package with a
newer GCC; neither does the typical end user run Debian's old SysV init
script with systemd. In both cases Debian supplies updated source, resp.
updated init scripts.

I would not label somebody who compiles their own code "end user".

I also would not expect an "end user" to add "su foo -c /do/whatever" to
/etc/rc.local. Your opinion may differ, that's OK.

I would, however, like to consider a couple of better solutions than
adding a workaround or two for continuing to use /bin/su in contexts
it was never intended for.

For instance, /bin/su might recognize that it's called in an environment
without controlling terminal and whatnot, and limit itself to not
using PAM to create a new session. (Or whatever the exact bug is.)

Alternately, a nice little message that the default init system is now
called "systemd" and that "everything SHOULD still work but the world is
rarely perfect, so here's a link that tells you how to debug this strange
new thing" might as well mention that replacing any calls to "su" in
rc.local with either sudo or systemd units would be a splendid idea.

For bonus points, display the message with higher priority if you find the
word "su" anywhere in /etc/rc*.

For even more fun, imagine what'll happen for Zurg – when we replace X11
with Wayland as the default display manager … I predict the systemd
transition to be painless by comparison.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs