Re: systemd pulled in automatically

Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> writes:

> If the order of the dependencies of libpam-systemd is switched, so it
> becomes systemd-shim | systemd-sysv, the result will be:

> - If systemd is not installed, systemd-shim will be installed and the
>   original init system will continue functioning.
> - If systemd is installed, it will satisfy this dependency and systemd-shim
>   will not be installed.

> Sounds like exactly what I would expect when upgrading random other
> packages such as Network Manager.

Will systemd-shim work once logind is upgraded to 208?  My understanding
is that 208 will be going into unstable soon.  We certainly want to have
208 (and, actually, something later than that) for jessie.

If systemd-shim is 208-ready, then yes, this is appealing for the reasons
that you describe.  If it's not ready yet, we should probably hold off on
making this sort of change until it is, since otherwise dependencies would
be satisfied but the resulting system wouldn't actually *work* properly.
(Alternately, we could block 208 from coming into unstable until
systemd-shim is ready, but I'm a bit dubious that's a good idea.)