Re: systemd-fsck?

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 08:06:14PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > One of the maintainers of systemd says that otherwise he don't thinks
> > this behavior is unsuitable for release: https://bugs.debian.org/747535#46

> This, however, *is* the wrong way to have this discussion.  Arguing over
> whether this is an RC bug just comes across as attempting to coerce other
> people into doing the work you care about, which makes the whole thing
> needlessly confrontational.  Instead, propose solutions and patches.
> There's no need to ever have an argument about how important it is to
> finish the work if we instead use that energy to simply *do* the work.

RC bug severity has an important function in blocking package migrations to
testing.  If someone is concerned that a particular regression in behavior
is sufficiently severe that it should block the new version of the package
from testing, they certainly should set the bug severity in the first
instance.  The maintainer may disagree, in which case one is free to
escalate it to the release team precisely as Tollef has suggested.  But
there's nothing inappropriate about having this discussion directly with the
maintainer first.

We certainly shouldn't insist that anyone who spots something they think is
a release-critical bug be personally responsible for providing a patch and
getting it accepted in the narrow window before the package automatically
migrates to testing.