Re: Guile language support in make

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
On Sun, May 11 2014, Steve McIntyre wrote:

> Thinking about the poor people trying to bootstrap things, I'm tempted
> to suggest doing this as two separate source packages. Make is *so*
> far down the bottom of the stack that adding a dependency on another
> language could cause significant problems.

        Well, I was thinking of build profiles for that.
Build-Depends: ....
   guile-2.0-dev <!profile.withguile>

Packagte: make
Build-Profiles: !withguile

Package: make-guile
Build-Profiles: withguile

        I know I can't do that until Jess is released and dpkg 1.17.2 is
 in stable.

        In the meanwhile, looking at gnuplot and kerrberos, I see how I
 can do detached build directories and dh overrides to actually build
 two binary packages from the same source package. What I don't see is
 how to manage to add the build dependency without inconveniencing
 bootstrapping with a single source package. I don't have the energy to
 create a brand new source package from the same mangled make upstream
 source.

        manoj
--
"Of course power tools and alcohol don't mix.  Everyone knows power
tools aren't soluble in alcohol..." -- Crazy Nigel