change is hard and feared upon (Re: systemd-fsck?)

Hi,

On Samstag, 10. Mai 2014, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> > Will it be the norm that the binaries replacing well-used shell
> > scripts on early boot only implement the features that Lennart deemed
> > useful? That would be a major turn-off, adding to the fact that early
> > boot will become undebuggable since one will not be able any more to
> > dump -x'es in shell scripts to see what's going on.
>
> This begs one question: Why would you want to?

because I'm old and I have my habits and learned things and now I dont want to
learn new things and change my behavours. Thats scary and frightenend.

(I spoke in the first person singular here, but thats not me...)

Fear of change is not rational and this whole "systemd debate" is an
"excellent" example for this.

> "systemctl status" tells you quite clearly what went wrong, "journalctl"
> shows you what the program printed in case it did get started … and so on.

systemctl is not mentioned on https://wiki.debian.org/systemd - maybe it
should?

> If you manage not to get a login prompt, enable debug.service and you'll
> have a root shell on TTY 9. systemctl has even grown a --root argument,
> so you can do that to a mounted file system if you can't get even get an
> emergency prompt, or you can use it from the kernel command line.

enabling debug.service is not mentioned on https://wiki.debian.org/systemd -
maybe it should?

> This is a whole lot easier than munging random shell scripts or, worse,
> booting with /bin/bash as PID1.

but thats how it ever was, so it must be right!!111</irony>

> Sticking "-x" into scripts was a major PITA from the beginning. It grew
> even more pains as init-functions and colorful prompts came along, and I
> for one am VERY happy to finally get rid of that kind of "debugging".

indeed.

cheers,
	Holger, "slightly" feed up with the never ending "debate" (and the trolls
		attached to the topic and people arguing with them...)
		maybe I should just unsubscribe from -devel until after jessie has
		been released... or automark all mails as read which contain the
		string "systemd" on -devel...