Re: systemd-fsck?

On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 04:06:46PM +0200, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> In my specific case, some *kit (policykit?) was “held back” by
> apt-get dist-upgrade, because it introduced a Depends on…

> … which I had prevented using systemd-must-die¹. But it was
> safe to just apt-get purge that *kit package.

> Those are safe to keep.

> You can purge them. Install sysvinit-core at the same time.

This is unconstructive advice.  The systemd binary package contains logind,
which is the de facto desktop seat manager for jessie and beyond,
irrespective of init system choice.  You may not like the fact that
installing logind pulls the init onto the filesystem (I don't like this,
either); and you may prefer not to use any sort of recent desktop
environment with seat management on your own systems; but advising people to
purge the systemd package from their systems is just wrong.

> Another mistake you likely did is that, after the initial
> installation, you did not add
> 	APT::Install-Recommends "0";
> to /etc/apt/apt.conf, which is a must-have to be able to
> run Debian without something unwanted being run all the time.

This is also unconstructive.