Re: Non-source Javascript files in upstream source

Nikolaus Rath dixit:

>Ah, wait. So is the requirement that we ship the source to all files in
>the source package, or is the requirement to ship the source to all
>files in the source package that are used to generate the binary
>package?

The former, plus…

>Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org> writes:

>> Yes. Please see the email. You need to make sure you have source for
>> everything. If you're not shipping the raw source (e.g. most Python), be
>> sure you're making the binary in your rules file, and using that binary
>> in the deb.

… you need to actually *use* those sources to generate the binary.

>I'm still surprised that I had to start stripping out javascript files
>in the Sphinx-generated documentation from upstream tarballs, despite
>the documentation being completely removed and regenerated during the
>build.

That is because Debian is about a promise. The promise here is that,
if you take anything from Debian (main), it’s DFSG free, be it a
binary, the source to the binary, the source .tar.gz, firmware,
images, audiovisual content, works of literacy, etc.

It took me a while to “get” it, but it’s really the only thing that
makes sense for Debian. (And yes, this means that even tytso should
really regenerate his configure files in the e2fsprogs debian/rules
file.)

bye,
//mirabilos
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt