Re: automatically maintaining/tracking repackaged upstream tarballs

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 23.04.2014, 09:27 +0200 schrieb Daniel Pocock:
> On 23/04/14 01:09, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 4:40 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> >
> >> Given all the recent issues with popular packages containing minified
> >> JavaScript and other sourceless files, I'm hoping to get feedback from
> >> people about how the solution can be generalized to help as many
> >> developers as possible.
> > You may have missed the fact that uscan now supports removing files
> > specified by the Files-Excluded field in debian/copyright when it
> > repacks archives.
>
> - uscan is only for existing packages - should it be generalized to also
> read directly from watch files that are not in a source package?

This functionality, together with renaming a tarball to the correct name
and possibly changing the compression will be broken out in a new tool
(uncreatively named mk-origtargz), so you can
 * unpack the original tarball
 * create the debian/ directory as usual, including a debian/copyright
   file with File-Excluded.
 * run "mk-origtargz ../strangely-named-and-partially-free.tar.gz"
   which will create <pkgname>_<version>.orig.tar.gz
 * done

Early adaptors are invited to build devscripts from the git repo
(http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/devscripts.git) and
tell us if this works as expected.

Greetings,
Joachim