automatically maintaining/tracking repackaged upstream tarballs

I've just added some comments on my blog about tracking upstream
tarballs that need to be repackaged and automating whatever we can:

http://danielpocock.com/automatically-creating-repackaged-upstream-tarballs-for-debian

Given all the recent issues with popular packages containing minified
JavaScript and other sourceless files, I'm hoping to get feedback from
people about how the solution can be generalized to help as many
developers as possible.

In the Java world, some of these things stick out like a sore thumb
(e.g. copies of junit or other *.jar files in upstream tarball) - it is
not hard to extrapolate this to match other patterns though.

Regards,

Daniel