Re: About a mass bug report not based on Sid or Jessie.

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 12:40:10PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> There's no substitute for rebuilding from source.  :)  I used to be a bit
> skeptical of that push for Autoconf and friends, but the more I've worked
> with it, the more I've come around to the position that we should treat
> the configure script the same way that we would treat *.o files in the
> upstream source.

If we go that route, that would mean removing configure and friends
from .orig.tar.gz.

Otherwise, we would be telling our users that the tarball is the
source when that would not be completely true. Moreover, I wonder if
we can really say that binary matches source when we modify the source
at build time.

I would rather autoreconf at dpkg-buildpackage time in such a way that
you get an updated Debian source every time you make a new Debian
release for such package (something like debian/patches/auroreconf.diff).
Autobuilders should not need to autoreconf the same package over and
over again.