Re: Advice for how to make new things policy (was: ':any' syntax in package names in jessie/sid Packages)

Le Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 11:06:00PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh a écrit :
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2014, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > things are too slow or not happening is the lack of manpower.  See for example
> > the documentation of the Dpkg triggers: we miss only one single Debian
> > Developer to review the discussion and the patch in #582109 (I even offered to
> > go piece by piece, see message #209 in the thread).  Yet, it has been more than
> > a year that out of our hundreds of active developers, nobody had time or
> > interest to do this.
>
> Nobody *who really knows how triggers work*, you mean.  Otherwise some of
> the random DDss that hang around debian-policy, like yours thruly, would
> already have seconded it.

Well, to some extent it is more a question of time that compentence, because
one can become competent by spending the appropriate amount of time.  Before I
started to write that patch, I did not understand how triggers work.  And that
patch is mostly drawing in the existing documentation (which is scattered in
three different pages, see <http://charles.plessy.org/Debian/debiâneries/triggers/>).
So I think that somebody who wants to learn how triggers work can study the
original documents, test and understand how it works in practice, and compare
the original documents with with the Policy patch; that person will be fully
qualified to second it.

To the readers who wonder: trust me, it is worth it, please read the doc and
review the patch :)

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan