Re: Advice for how to make new things policy (was: ':any' syntax in package names in jessie/sid Packages)

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014, Charles Plessy wrote:
> things are too slow or not happening is the lack of manpower.  See for example
> the documentation of the Dpkg triggers: we miss only one single Debian
> Developer to review the discussion and the patch in #582109 (I even offered to
> go piece by piece, see message #209 in the thread).  Yet, it has been more than
> a year that out of our hundreds of active developers, nobody had time or
> interest to do this.

Nobody *who really knows how triggers work*, you mean.  Otherwise some of
the random DDss that hang around debian-policy, like yours thruly, would
already have seconded it.

This is the important point to keep in mind:  we rarely [should be never]
second what we don't understand.  We won't second something that we cannot
judge to be correct or not, especially when the details *matter*.

> accelerate the incorporation in the Policy by taking the lead: submit a patch,
> restart the discussion when it loses momentum, and ask DDs to review the patch
> if nobody spontaneously volunteer.  The only thing you can not do is to decide

Indeed.  It helps a *GREAT* *DEAL* if the people who actually designed
and/or implemented the feature shows up to write the documentation, or to
second it.

So far, it looks like that won't be a problem for multiarch, so it should
have a much easier time getting into policy...

  Henrique Holschuh