Re: ':any' syntax in package names in jessie/sid Packages

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 11:58:59AM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Stuart Prescott <stuart <at> debian.org> writes:
>
> > Unfortunately, the people who understand multiarch well enough to write it
> > up for policy haven't done so which leaves us with no normative
> > documentation in policy for the the Multi-Arch field in Packages, no
> > description of how the package manager should deal with multi-arch packages
> > and their dependencies and no documentation of best practices for -dev
> > packages etc.
>
> This can be read as "M-A in its current form is RC-buggy and must
> not be released". With the obvious follow-ups (revert M-A perl/python
> in sid, as Guillem said).

Please note that perl in sid is not and has never been multi-arch enabled.
I've been holding this back mostly because of Guillem's concerns, which
haven't been addressed yet AFAIK. A full multiarch coinstallable perl
stack doesn't seem to be attainable and I haven't been able to decide
where to draw the line.

OTOH, python has had the multi-arch annotations for quite a while and
I suppose that's working well enough?

If somebody thinks the spec and dpkg and all are working well enough and
would like to champion multi-arch for perl, I'd be happy to get help. It's
been very hard for me to find the time / tuits for this stuff.

(I see ruby2.0 in sid is now M-A:foreign, which seems wrong to me as it
 can also load DSOs, and those may end up with a different architecture
 from ruby itself. I've filed #745360 about this.)
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org