Re: Proposing amd64-hardened architecture for Debian

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 12:15:22AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > My proposal for serving those security-focused users is introducing a
> > new architecture targeting amd64 hardware, but with more security
> > related C/C++ features turned on for every package (currently hardening
> > has to be enabled by the maintainers in some way) through compiler flags
> > as a start.

> My take on this: start it if you wish, and see how it takes you. If it
> is successful enough, it will go to http://www.debian-ports.org/. If it
> has even more success, then probably it will go through the standard
> repository and be official part of Debian. Whatever happens, it will be
> interesting to see what kind of performance hit you get, and what kind
> of security enhancement there is.

I would not presume that debian-ports.org would be willing to accept this
port without detailed discussion with Debian about what it means to provide
a different "port" with the same ABI.

The other recent notable port of this kind (changing the compiler defaults
without changing the ABI) is Raspbian, which we have not found a way to
effectively integrate into the Debian archive.  It lives in its own domain,
not under debian-ports, because it conflicts with and is unidirectionally
incompatible with the existing armhf port.

It would be great to see someone tackle the question of "subarchs" for dpkg,
which might be a fit here.  But I don't imagine that you're going to get
signoff on a dpkg "amd64-secure" architecture, so doing this in debian or on
debian-ports isn't very practical.