Proposing amd64-hardened architecture for Debian

Hi,

I have posted the following idea on my blog [7] to get comments from
people not on this list, but obviously this is the mailing list where
the proposal should be discussed. :-)

-----

Facing last week's Heartbleed [1] bug the need for improving the
security of our systems became more apparent than usually. In Debian
there are widely used methods for Hardening [2] packages at build time
and guidelines [3] for improving the default installations' security.

Employing such methods usually come at an expense, for example slower
code execution of binaries due to additional checks or additional
configuration steps when setting up a system. Balancing between
usability and security Debian chose an approach which would satisfy the
most users by using C/C++ features [4] which only slightly decrease
execution speed of built binaries and by using reasonable defaults in
package installations.

All the architectures supported by  Debian aims using the same methods
for enhancing security but it does not have to stay the same way. Amd64
is the most widely used architecture of Debian according to popcon [5]
and amd64 hardware comes with powerful CPU-s. I think there would be a
significant amount of people (being one of them :-)) who would happily
use a version of Debian with more security features enabled by default
sacrificing some CPU power and installing and setting up additional
packages.

My proposal for serving those security-focused users is introducing a
new architecture targeting amd64 hardware, but with more security
related C/C++ features turned on for every package (currently hardening
has to be enabled by the maintainers in some way) through compiler flags
as a start.

Introducing the new architecture would also let package maintainers
enabling additional dependencies and build rules selectively for the new
architecture improving the security further. On the users' side the
advantage of having a separate security enhanced architecture instead of
a Debian derivative is the potential of installing a set of security
enhanced packages using multiarch [6]. You could have a fast amd64
installation as a base and run Apache or any other sensitive server from
the amd64-hardened packages!

-----

What do you think? Would adding a new arch be feasible and a good solution?

Cheers,
Balint

PS: There was a long security related thread on -private which I can't
refer to and in which Paul Wise proposed a "secondary high-security (but
slower) archive", and while I think it is a very good idea it would not
allow mixing fast and secure packages using multiarch.

[1] http://heartbleed.com/
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Hardening
[3]
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch-automatic-harden.en.html