Re: Proposing amd64-hardened architecture for Debian

* Balint Reczey <balint@balintreczey.hu> [140415 12:01]:
[..]
> My proposal for serving those security-focused users is introducing a
> new architecture targeting amd64 hardware, but with more security
> related C/C++ features turned on for every package (currently hardening
> has to be enabled by the maintainers in some way) through compiler flags
> as a start.

[..]
> What do you think? Would adding a new arch be feasible and a good solution?

I think that as of today it would help more to fix various upstream
build tools to actually honor the build flags we (using
dpkg-buildflags) set. This would benefit both the regular
architectures and any hypothetical hardened archs.

Regarding a special hardened arch, I think on amd64 there's almost
no benefit of making a seperate arch: just turn on all the hardening
stuff in amd64, the hardware is fast enough to tolerate some
slowdown as a tradeoff for better security.
No ideas for/about the other archs.

--
 ,''`.  Christian Hofstaedtler <zeha@debian.org>
: :' :  Debian Developer