Re: Debian default desktop environment

Quoting Bálint Réczey (2014-04-08 12:09:55)
>> On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 14:16:15 Undefined User wrote:
>>> The problem is that right now Debian project is changing its default
>>> desktop environment, and I think that this is not a good move. Of
>>> course, it all depends on where the project is aiming at, specially
>>> on which users. But, for normal users, Gnome 3 is a way better
>>> experience than Xfce.
>>
>> I think Xfce is much better *default* desktop environment (DE) than
>> Gnome.
>>
>> As KDE fan [...]

> I myself use awesome WM, but [...]

I am a techie user using Awesome, so my judgement is flawed too.  As is
most of us in this discussion, I suspect.

Recently a [Debian design team] was initiated, and work is ongoing to
make a Debian Blend for designers.  I am involved in that team and
personally favor Xfce, but so does others involved including the authors
of [Libre Graphics Mag] who make a living teaching design to students
with background in both Mac and Windows - they use Xfce since a few
years for their courses, based on careful reflection on the perception
of their students in adopting Linux tools from different backgrounds.

[Debian design team]: https://wiki.debian.org/Design

[Libre Graphics Mag]: http://libregraphicsmag.com/

 - Jonas