Re: Debian default desktop environment

previously on this list Undefined User contributed:

> It's not about Gnome, Xfce or whatever desktop environment being focused
> only on touchscreen devices or identical to a mobile platform (that would
> be terrible for everyone), but at least something that doesn't make people
> think that Debian looks like from last decade and don't support new
> technologies (although, we all know, none of these being true -- but we
> have to show it).

I'm not sure I agree or that many care so much. In just the last few
weeks I have had one 80 year old and one 30 year old both say they
wanted the Windows XP interface back over Windows 7/Vista repectively.

Which bit exactly do you think looks like win 98? xfce4-panel;
gnome-panel runs in xfce.

It should take very little to improve the look of xfce and with very
little memory usage increase.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)