Re: default messaging/VoIP client for Debian 8/Jessie

On 31/03/14 15:31, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Pocock (2014-03-31 15:11:06)
>>> Are they willing to put their work in the form of a Telepathy
>>> backend?
>>>
>> Why not ask them directly?
>>
>> However, it would also be helpful to clarify whether Telepathy will
>> even be a priority if XFCE remains the default desktop
> Please aim not only for defaults.
>
> It is relevant to care about the major desktops - i.e. those we offer
> initial install CDs for.

At the moment, the default for a lot of users is a non-free solution
that cares little for GNOME or any other free desktop.

I, too, feel that having a nice Telepathy-based solution would be a
positive thing - but I haven't seen any evidence that anybody has
committed to develop it before the Jessie freeze.  If that was to change
I'd be more than happy to test it and evaluate it on its merits and
provide whatever feedback and encouragement I could.

That said, if Jitsi (or one of the other free softphones) does manage to
expand the free communication userbase significantly and keep us in
touch with the WebRTC world, this may provide more motivation for the
GNOME Project and others to rally around standards like TURN and then
people will have a nice Telepathy-based solution for Jessie+1