Re: stop posting useless cruft and get to work (systemd and Linux are *fundamentally incompatible* -> and I can prove it)

On 03/26/2014 11:49 PM, Cameron Norman wrote:
> El Wed, 26 de Mar 2014 a las 7:07 PM, gustavo panizzo <gfa>
> <gfa@zumbi.com.ar> escribió:
>> On 03/26/2014 07:40 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>
>>     If you want thing to move on, stop posting useless messages, and
>>     start working on alternatives. For example, helping adding more
>>     features to OpenRC would certainly help a way more than this post.
>>
>> going offtopic here, do you know if there is any plan to use cgmanager
>> with openrc, i really like the idea of putting each service in it's
>> own cgroup
>
> I was thinking about how to do something like this without requiring
> cgmanager to be started before the init system or moving the cgroups
> management into the init system itself.

i don't see any problem starting cgmanager after init, i don't see much
value on a big init or an init daemon confined by a cgroup.

I wonder if dbus activation
> could be used to accomplish this. Of course, then one would not be able
> to put (in the case of Upstart) the socket bridge, dbus bridge, dbus, or
> anything those services need to boot into a cgroup, but one can still
> put stuff like Apache, lightdm/gdm/kdm/sddm, nginx, et al into a cgroup.
> Another option is to push the kernel maintainers to allow delegating
> parts of the cgroups tree to other processes, so that the init system
> could say "you get a sub-hierarchy, you get a sub-hierarchy" without the
> complication of multiple separate hierarchies. How do you suggest this
> integration with cgroups be done?

i just want to put services inside cgroups, no socket activation, no
dbus, no dbus activation.

i would use it for servers, apache and friends, what i would really like
is to be able to run multiple instances of the same service each on it's
own cgroup.

something like

su - user -g cgroup_name -c command or a flag to start-stop-daemon,
cgroups could be created in advance by an init script (a Required-Start
in lsb slang)

just my 0.02$ of what i would use as sysadmin

--
1AE0 322E B8F7 4717 BDEA BF1D 44BB 1BA7 9F6C 6333