Re: Bits from the Security Team

Matthias Urlichs wrote...

> IMHO the decision to designate release N to be a LTS release has too be
> made at release time of N+1 _at_the_latest_, so maintainers know that they
> may not remove their "old" upgrade script snippets.

Agreed, but given the long intervals between releases: Waiting until
wheezy enters that state means at least two years, and I'd expect the
enthusiasm I've seen for LTS to cool down a lot in that time.

So let's see squeeze-lts as an experiment, and I read it is declared
as such: Limited set of architectures, no promises this will last.
Then all people involved can learn about any pitfalls. Once the
jessie release get closer, enough experience should have been gathered
to tell whether LTS is feasible. If yes, package maintainers should be
encouraged to support leap-frog upgrades.

The right time for that decision was freeze in my opinion.

    Christoph