Re: Bits from the Security Team

On Sun, Mar 09, 2014 at 06:50:36AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-03-08 at 18:23 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > * Moritz Muehlenhoff:
> >
> > > I agree we should stick with dpkg-buildflags until this is fixed upstream.
> > > Gentoo Hardened tried to upstream this a year ago, but apparently this didn't make
> > > the cut yet:
> > > http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2012-09/msg00473.html
>
> It looks like the Gentoo Hardened folks addressed all of the concerns of
> the GCC folks but didn't push for the patches to be included after that
> had finished doing that. Perhaps also the GCC folks didn't have time to
> do a full review. The Gentoo Hardened folks say bootstrap was achieved.
>
> > On the other hand, it is somewhat doubtful if we can come up with a
> > one-size-fits-all compile time option.  For example, Fedora wants to
> > enable -grecord-gcc-switches, but maybe Debian doesn't (e.g. because
> > it impacts reproducible builds).
>
> It should at least be an option to enable these at GCC compile time so
> that all binaries compiled by GCC use them. As long as GCC supports the
> corresponding command-line options for turning off enabled options at
> runtime, this approach should be viable since upstreams that need these
> flags disabled can do that in their build systems.

I kind of agree here, but Matthias made it clear that upstream inclusion
was a prerequisite (and I'm not sure he's interested in actually pushing
that upstream).

It might be worth contacting Gentoo Hardened people, Ubuntu security
people (although I think Kees Cook was the most active one and he's now
working at Google) and gcc upstream, asking for status and maybe pushing
a little bit forward.

But right now I'm not sure that, in Debian, we have people knowledgeable
enough on the intimate gcc behavior to push that directly. That's a bit
unfortunate.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis Perez