Re: Bits from the Security Team

On Sat, 2014-03-08 at 18:23 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Moritz Muehlenhoff:
>
> > I agree we should stick with dpkg-buildflags until this is fixed upstream.
> > Gentoo Hardened tried to upstream this a year ago, but apparently this didn't make
> > the cut yet:
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2012-09/msg00473.html

It looks like the Gentoo Hardened folks addressed all of the concerns of
the GCC folks but didn't push for the patches to be included after that
had finished doing that. Perhaps also the GCC folks didn't have time to
do a full review. The Gentoo Hardened folks say bootstrap was achieved.

> On the other hand, it is somewhat doubtful if we can come up with a
> one-size-fits-all compile time option.  For example, Fedora wants to
> enable -grecord-gcc-switches, but maybe Debian doesn't (e.g. because
> it impacts reproducible builds).

It should at least be an option to enable these at GCC compile time so
that all binaries compiled by GCC use them. As long as GCC supports the
corresponding command-line options for turning off enabled options at
runtime, this approach should be viable since upstreams that need these
flags disabled can do that in their build systems.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise