Re: Idea for apt-get : getting source code instead getting binaries

On 03/06/2014 07:33 AM, Solal Rastier wrote:
> Hello! I've an idea for a new apt-get package style :
>
> Developer side :
> -The developer create a ./install script in the source code.
> -The install script executes all commands necessary for install the software. Also, it getting dependancies, etc.
> -The developer create a tarball (.tar.bzip2) and rename the file name. Instead of software.tar.bzip2 , that's software.deb
> -The developer distribute the software.deb
>
> Apt-get side :
> -The apt-get tool download software.deb from the Debian repository.
> -The program is installed with dpkg
>
> Dpkg side :
> -dpkg rename the software.deb software.tar.bzip2
> -tar uncompress the software.tar.bzip2
> -cd go into the "software" folder
> -./install execute install script

Uninstalling would be a pain and would *easily* leave my system (and
systems I support) in an inconsistent state and with a lot of leftovers
because of packagers that don't care about uninstalling properly.

This is something I like about Debian and dislike about Windows, by the way.

Bad idea.

Despite being a bad idea, I think it could be done by using the postinst
script, but nobody does it like this because it is very inconvenient.