Re: Idea for apt-get : getting source code instead getting binaries

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 06:58:41PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 03/06/2014 05:01 PM, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> > Script to do this attached; can I have my GSoC money now? :)
>
> Homer: Can I have some money now?

BTW; just for context, I thought this message was to a soc-coordination
list (and idling making a joke, I didn't intend to slander our student's
work, they do great stuff, and I respect the crap out of everyone that
works in GSoC).

> On a more serious side note, I think OP's point was to promote a package
> format where the upstream developer already does all the work and create
> a Debian package on the fly which could simply be dropped into the
> archives ready to install. Even when the package wasn't in Debian in
> the first place, which is the main assumption of your script, Paule.

Yeah, well, I was just showing that this is feasible with a properly
defined source package in the archive, even without any built debs. This
script was just snark (and has two big bugs, at least)

> However, this shifts the responsibility for the QA of a package from
> Debian towards upstream which will probably end in fear and loathing
> in the archives in no time.

Yep.

> Turning an upstream source into a working Debian package isn't really
> time-consuming and difficult for most cases. However, creating a well-
> maintainable and (lintian-)clean package into Debian isn't and takes
> lots of care and attention by a dedicated Debian Maintainer which knows
> the in and outs of Debian, its Policy and its powerful tools.

The proposed idea was basically as much effort as properly debianizing
the package.

> Cheers,
>
> Adrian
>
> - --
>  .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> : :' :  Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org
> `. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de
>   `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Much love,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87