Re: when will we finally throw away binary uploads (Re: Please upgrade your build environment when you are affected by transition

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 03:55:37PM +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> >BTW; the syntax would define a single arch; you know, in the
> >spirit of reproducability.
>
> I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand, most[0] of arch:all
> packages can be built on more than one architecture, so “single
> arch” sounds like an artificial limitation.

You're not wrong; I'd just really hate for this to lead to a situation
where the arch:all build causes a FTBFS on ${EXOTIC_ARCH}
(HURD/kFreeBSD/MIPS) because it's assumed it works fine (I could see
something like endianess breaking things) and have it transitively break
the package (or worse yet; render data that isn't good to run)

I'd tend to lean to being explicit about where it should build (rather
then say "any" and call it a day), and have it explicitly reproducable
rather than some toss-up.

If dpkg-buildpckage doesn't care (and I don't see any reason why it
would), I'm sure it can just ignore this field and leave it as advice to
the build software.

Yeah, not great, I know :\

> On the other hand, we
> very much don't want the same arch:all package to be built by
> multiple buildds…
>

> [0] Likely s/Most/All/ if you take into account hypothetical
> architectures that nobody has boostrapped (yet?!), e.g.
> musl-linux-m68k.

Point taken.

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87