Re: default init on non-Linux platforms

previously on this list Thomas Goirand contributed:

> So, systemd is still using /etc/rc?.d. Could you tell exactly what it
> uses out of /etc/rc?.d, and what for? Does it only needs to see them as
> S??script-name in runlevel 2 or 4 (or whatever it uses...)?
>
> If systemd needs links in /etc/rcX.d, then I think it should be possible
> to hack something.

One of the main things I like about OpenRC and especially OpenBSDs rc
system is that you can modify the files directly intuitively.

The main thing I hate about the current system is those links and them
requiring a tool to edit them in any timely fashion. Almost as much as
the huge commandlines needed to do so for systemd without it's tools
or for things it's tools can't or couldn't do at the time I tested it
out, if I remember rightly to do with

Do people use all those runlevels?

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)