Re: default init on non-Linux platforms

On 02/18/2014 11:10 PM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:55:32PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Once I consider OpenRC ready for it, would it be ok to just replace
>> sysv-rc by OpenRC, and transform sysv-rc into a transitional package?
>> What is the opinion of other DDs? Is there anyone which would like to
>> keep the old featureless sysv-rc?
>
> What problem does that solve?

In this way, we'd have only 2 init systems to take care of, and we could
start replacing init.d scripts by OpenRC runscripts *IF* there's a
systemd service file. Otherwise, we have to keep init.d scripts just in
case someone is running sysv-rc. So keeping sysv-rc would block progress
and force anyone to keep writing/maintaining init.d LSB header scripts.

Thomas