Re: systemd's journal

On 02/16/2014 10:00 AM, Philipp Matthias Hahn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 09:17:46AM +0100, Helmut Grohne wrote:

>> There is no journalctl on that system. So what do I do now?
>
> The same you do when your log file has those .Z, .gz, .bz2, .lzma,
> .xz, .pgp, "your compresion program of the decade" extensions: You
> install the missing software and life goes on.
>
> "But those are installed by default!" you might say, for which I'll
> just answer: "wait for Jessie: then systemd will be installed by
> default, too." ;-)

Actually, what I'd say is "But those are useful for many other things
than interacting with logs.".

I don't want my log files in a specialized or dedicated format, and I
don't want to need or rely on a specialized tool for working with them.
I want to be able to work with them using general-purpose tools.

I can hypothetically imagine the 'journal' file format becoming
generally used, as e.g. a generic indexing format or the like; if that
happened, I don't think I'd have a problem with the tools for working
with it being relied on and required (perhaps as libraries) by
journald/journalctl, and being necessary for working with standard
system log files. It's the specialized / dedicated nature of the tools
(and, I presume, the format) that I object to, beyond just the binary
nature of the file format.

(And now I wait for someone to point out an obvious specialized format
and/or tool that everyone uses that I've overlooked...)

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.